Free Tax Preparation Services For Low-Income SGV Residents

File your taxes free online or receive help from volunteer tax preparers at the Arcadia Public Library.

Rep. Judy Chu (D-Pasadena), congressional representative for the 27th District, has teamed up with the Arcadia Public Library to offer free tax preparation services for low-income constituents.

If you have a simple return with an adjusted gross income of less than $57,000 and experience preparing and filing your tax return online, then take advantage of free use of the tax preparation and e‐filing software found at http:// myfreetaxes.com/ArcadiaPublicLibrary.

This site may be accessed at home or by using the Library’s computers. The IRS began accepting and processing returns Jan. 30.

What you’ll need to get started:

• Basic computer skills
• A valid email address
• Social Security Cards or valid ITIN numbers for you, your spouse and dependents
• Income information: W2, 1099, Social Security Income
• Any applicable deduction/expenses information
• Copy of your 2011 tax return
• Bank account and routing information for direct deposit of refund

If you need help navigating the software, email your questions to Lena Ng at lena.ng@mail.house.gov. Ng is a certified VITA tax preparer from Chu’s district office in Pasadena and will respond to your questions within 24 hours.

Ng will also be at the library taking questions every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. through April 11.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

For taxpayers with an annual income of $51,000 or less, volunteer tax preparers will be at the library every Thursday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. through April 11 to assist you one‐on‐one with the preparation and filing of your tax return.

Appointments are required. To schedule yours, call 626‐304‐0110.

*For e‐filing on a joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. Assistance is available in English and Chinese.

What you’ll need to bring with you:

• Proof of identification (photo ID)
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
• All income statements: W‐2, W2‐G, 1099‐R, 1099‐MISC, Social Security Income
• Interest and dividend statements (1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Total paid for child daycare and daycare provider’s tax identifying number
• Tuition fees and expenses
• Proof of bank routing number and your account number for direct deposit (such as a blank check)
• Landlord’s name, address and phone number if claiming California Renter’s Credit

For questions or to make an appointment, please call Chu's office at 626‐304‐0110.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »